The Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, has called on the Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, to tell the Osun State Independent Electoral Commission, OSIEC, to call off Saturday’s local government election in the state.
The AGF, in a statement he signed in Abuja on Thursday, warned that conducting a new local government council election would not only be invalid but would also amount to a breach of the Constitution since the tenure of the purportedly sacked council chairmen is still running according to last week’s decision of the Court of Appeal, Akure Division.
He also urged Governor Adeleke to tow the path of law and shun violence.
Read Also: OSSIEC denies military siege, confirms Saturday LG poll
The statement read in part ” My attention has been drawn to the public outcry of Osun State Governor, Ademola Adeleke, concerning the judgment of the Court of Appeal, Akure division delivered on the 10th day of February 2025 in Appeal No CA/AK/272/2022, which nullified and set aside the judgment of the Federal High Court, Osogbo, Osun State, delivered on 25th day of November 2022.
“It has become necessary to issue this public notice to remove doubts, fears and uncertainties created by misrepresentations and disinformation concerning the legal effect of the judgment of the Court of Appeal.
“Putting matters in proper context, the event that led to the two judgments was that during the currency of the term of the former Governor of Osun State, Adegboyega Oyetola, the election was held into all the local governments of Osun State and winners were sworn in.”
He added that according to the facts made available to his office, it was the attempt by the said elected officials to resume their positions that was resisted by some disgruntled elements which led to the crisis in the state.
Warning against a fresh LG poll scheduled for Saturday, the AGF said, any of such election that may be held will not only be invalid – since the term of office of the elected officials just restored by the judgment of the Court of Appeal will still be running until October 2025 – it will also amount to an egregious breach of the Constitution which Governor Adeleke has sworn to uphold.