Former Naval chief, retired General still wanted in N3bn fraud case – ICPC

The Commission’s spokesperson, Demola Bakare, dismissed claims that the duo had been exonerated following the amendment of charges against them.

Afinju FM
2 Min Read

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, ICPC, said former Chief of Naval Staff, Vice Admiral Jibrin Usman, retd., and Brigadier-General Ishaya Bauka, retd., remain on its wanted list over their alleged involvement in a N3 billion fraud.

The ICPC in a statement today by the Commission’s spokesperson, Demola Bakare, dismissed claims that the duo had been exonerated following the amendment of charges against them.

The commission explained that while the charges were only amended, they were never withdrawn, adding that the two former military officers are fugitives.

Bakare also said there is a subsisting arrest warrant for Usman and Bauka, urging the public to assist law enforcement in apprehending them.

Read Also: ICPC tracks N610bn constituency projects in 22 states

According to the commission, prosecuting agencies often amend charges to proceed against defendants already in custody while keeping the case open for those evading arrest.

The former Naval chief and Brigadier-General Bauka were initially charged alongside five others in an original charge dated and filed on April 17, 2023.

Bakare said the charges were served through their legal representatives, yet they failed to present themselves for arraignment, leading to a bench warrant for their arrest.

Bakare reassured the public that efforts to arrest the two fugitive former military officers were ongoing and that once apprehended, they would be prosecuted.

Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  • https://stream.zeno.fm/dk8ldnmy1wbvv