Israel detains director of key north Gaza hospital as WHO condemns raids

Israel’s army has detained the director of one of the last functioning hospitals in northern Gaza, as the World Health Organization said Israeli assaults on medical facilities are a death sentence for thousands of Palestinians.

Afinju FM
2 Min Read

The World Health Organisation said an Israeli military assault on the Kamal Adwan Hospital on Friday put the last major health facility in northern Gaza out of service.

The WHO in a statement on X  said that initial reports indicate that some key departments were severely burned and destroyed during the raid.

Gaza health officials said that Israeli forces had detained the director of the hospital.

The Palestinian Health Ministry in the Hamas-run territory said that occupation forces have taken dozens of the medical staff from Kamal Adwan Hospital to a detention centre for interrogation, including the director, Hussam Abu Safia.

Read Also: Israeli airstrike in Beirut kills Hezbollah media chief

The ministry had earlier quoted Abu Safia as saying the military had set on fire all surgery departments of the hospital and that there were a large number of injuries among the medical team.

The WHO reiterated its call for a ceasefire.

Israel’s military began a renewed ground offensive in northern Gaza in October and has claimed that the hospital had become a key stronghold for terrorist organisations and continues to be used as a hideout for terrorist operatives.

Before initiating the latest attack on the hospital, the Israeli military said its soldiers had facilitated the secure evacuation of civilians, patients, and medical personnel.

Hamas denied its fighters were present in the hospital and urged the UN to set up an investigation committee to examine the scale of crime being committed in northern Gaza.

TAGGED: , ,
Share This Article
Leave a comment

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

  • https://stream.zeno.fm/dk8ldnmy1wbvv